Sunday, May 13, 2007

It's The So-ound! Of Sci-ence!

A Crocheted Coral Reef!



Crocheting the Lorenz Manifold

(I have absolutely no idea what this is, for real, but here's the introduction to the paper--maybe it will explain it to someone who has a more mathematical/scientific brain than I...)

"The Lorenz attractor is the best known image of a chaotic or strange attractor. We
are concerned here with its close cousin, the two-dimensional stable manifold of
the origin of the Lorenz system, which we call the Lorenz manifold for short. This
surface organizes the dynamics in the three-dimensional phase space of the Lorenz
system. It is invariant under the flow (meaning that trajectories cannot cross it) and
essentially determines how trajectories visit the two wings of the Lorenz attractor."




That's what I'm talking about! A knitted GI tract!! My absolute favorite! I am totally going to make this one...

No comments: